(Personally I think it is kind of gross. I always load up on vegetables in it so I want to eat it too.)
However it is SO easy to make and doesn't dirty the kitchen up at all, so I don't mind meatloaf nights. Every time I make it I do it differently, I will share two of my family's favorite recipes with you now.
- 1 1/2 LBS of ground meat (I use hamburger, you can use whatever you like)
- 1 whole leek (chopped and wash well)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 peppers (chopped, I try and use two different colors to make it pretty)
- 1 c oatmeal
- 1 c cooked rice
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 packet of beefy onion soup mix
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 375
- Mix everything together really well. (with your hands. I find this part to be really gross and usually have the Mister do it.)
- Shape into a loaf or put in a loaf pan and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
This is just a basic recipe. I use oatmeal and rice because I usually have this in my fridge. You could substitute crackers, bread crumbs, anything dry really. Its only used as a binding agent so the more veges you use the less dry stuff you will need. Also, I always use salsa to put it on top, mainly because I think putting ketchup is gross and I always have salsa on hand.
Another version of this recipe that I made in the past is instead of putting the onion soup mix in I put taco seasoning (from trader joe's) in. This is by far my favorite. I still add all the vege's I can, but the taco seasoning REALLY spices it up. Then I can serve it with sour cream (mmmmmm most favorite thing EVER!) freshly chopped cilantro and onions and it it doesn't quite taste like meatloaf anymore.
Do you make meatloaf? If so, how do you flavor yours?
Rhiannon's volleyball team is starting to play games now. Its so exciting to see her play! The Mister takes her to the park to practice and she is getting so good! I am very proud of how well she is doing :)
(I was never good at volleyball so I am not sure where she gets all this hand eye coordination at!)
(I love this picture. They both look so darn cute!)
Happy Friday To You All!