Beef, rice, tomato paste, ketchup, cheese.
I decided to make up my own version of this dinner with what I had on hand and sounded good to my family's taste.
Crystal's Stuffed Peppers
- 3 peppers (although I probably could have used 4)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 c cooked rice
- 1 leek diced and washed thoroughly
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes (I used the basil oregeno garlic flavored one)
- 12 oz Spaghetti Sauce (this will be about 1/2 a regular sized jar)
- Italian seasoning and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Cut peppers in half length way. Clean all the seeds and ribs out of the peppers. Lay flat in a baking dish.
- Brown ground beef. Drain excess fat and set aside in a mixing bowl.
- Saute the chopped leeks for about 4 minutes in a little bit of oil, (I use olive oil.) Add the garlic and saute for about 3 minutes more. Add to the ground beef.
- Add rice, carrots, celery, sauce and can of tomatoes (juice included) into the beef/onion mix and stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Add Italian seasoning and pepper to taste. I probably added around a tablespoon of the Italian seasoning. (If I am making up a recipe I will usually just add a little and them smell. If it smells good it will taste good.)
- Take your mixture and stuff the peppers well. If you push it down inside the peppers and use a tablespoon you will be able to have a nice round mound on top of each pepper and no mix leftover.
- Bake, uncovered, for around 45 minutes.
If you like your peppers softer you can leave them in the oven for an hour. My family likes to have them still a bit crisp!
This morning the kids have baffled me. They keep fighting over this purse. I have no idea why it is such prime real estate in play land today, but man oh man, they have been going at it. (The purse is now in hiding.)
I hope everybody is enjoying this beautiful bleary Tuesday morning! It is perfect Radiohead and coffee weather!