Friday, October 11, 2013

Diversity

As a parent, I've always made it a priority to teach my children that everyone is equal regardless of race, age, color or sexual orientation.  

People are people. 
We have the same feelings underneath our exteriors. 
 Love them all.  
Respect them all.  

The other day I was chatting with a seemingly nice woman about the area while our kids played at the park.  (There were actually kids at the park!)  She asked what school district  my child was going to, I told her and she instantly stepped back, lowered her voice and told me I need to be very careful.  

Instantly worried there was something wrong with the curriculum I asked why?  Was it riddled with drugs? Were the teachers not qualified?  Was there a low college acceptance rate that I had missed while doing my research?  

Nope.

She say's, "well.....lets just say it's a melting pot."

I kind of cocked my head to one side and looked at her with a confused look, hoping she wouldn't say what I knew she was going to say.  

Alas she continued with,

"Lets just say it's very diverse."

I then told her how fantastic that was and most people would love to have their children grow up in diverse areas.  How it adds to their character to grow up loving and accepting everyone, instead of being afraid of people who are different.

Then she huffed at me and took her children home.

Racism is alive, folks, and it lives in the south suburbs.

Do you know what else lives here?  
More great police work.


I'm going to be honest, I was looking through the local police blotter to see if this incident was there.

Have a fantastic weekend!

No comments :

Post a Comment