Monday, September 12, 2011

Da Bears

We had a weekend full of Art Festivals, Rummage sale going, bears watching and of course, delicious food eating.

The Lakeview Art Festival is by far my favorite one in the city.

Pluses of this year's festival


  • No rain!  This year the festival was blessed with the good fortune of beautiful perfect festival going weather.  It was breeze with only a few clouds in the sky and perfect shorts and a t shirt weather.
  • Lots of good new artists.  After going to festivals for a few years, you find that a lot of the same people come back year after year with the EXACT SAME ARTWORK!!!!!  Boooooring!  This year I was pleased to find a lot of new artists there.
  • The mimosa were a flowing and they were not only delicious they were needed and welcomed (by me!)
  • A ton of really good bluesy bands played while we were there.


Negatives of this years festival


  • They charged.  Every year this was the one festival that didn't make you pay a *donation fee.  I guess they lost some funding.  (The festival runners in chicago need to read and learn the true definition of a donation.  It is a gift.  Not a required payment for entry.)


They had a make-your-own zine tent.  The girls enjoyed it.  Clara decided her legs made for a better canvas.





This is my new favorite awesome find I got for a buck at a rummage sale by our house.....



(Don't be jealous.)

The rest of the weekend was completely overtaken by Bears Football Madness.  We decided to throw a huge shindig at our place to start off the new season.  The mister got a "new girlfriend" for the occasion. 

(Her name is Ladybird and she smokes meat.  Insert as many dirty jokes as you want here___________________________________________________)


He got up at 4 in the morning and smoked some delicious garlic, sage and rosemary crusted pork tenderloins and then made two different kinds of pulled pork.  I would go into more detail on how these were prepared except I don't have a clue.  I can tell you that they were incredibly delicious.  Here is the Mister posing with his new girlfriend.  

(Isn't his game day attire the most amazing outfit EVER?  Once again, don't be jealous......)  
























I finally finished his Chicago Bears rawr face.  



I believe the party was a huge success.  All the babies that came got along perfectly.  We had more then enough food for every one and we were able to watch a Bears Win!















For one of the side dips I made a really yummy super easy BLT dip.  If you need to throw something together last minute you should definitely consider using this.



BLT dip

  • 1/2 package of cream cheese
  • 1 C Mayo
  • 1 C sour cream
  • 1 lb Bacon
  • 3 Scallions (chopped)
  • 3 fresh tomatoes chopped OR 1 can of petite diced tomatoes without the juice


  1. Cook your bacon however you want.  I put mine in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes to cut down on the grease splatter.  If you are in a hurry you can also just use your microwave.
  2. Mix the sour cream, mayo and cream cheese well.  You can do this by hand if your cream cheese is soft (or if you have big arm muscles).  I used my kitchen aid and it took about two minutes.
  3. Crumble the bacon.  Add the bacon, scallions and tomatoes.  Mix well.



I served this with chips and pieces of cut up bread.  The final end result was good, but if I decide to make this again I will definitely play around with the ingredients and something more to give it that extra kick.  



Enjoy and Happy football season to you all!!!!!!


No comments :

Post a Comment