Monday, May 19, 2014

Meat Cupcakes

The Mister hates cake.  
And cookies.  
And chocolate.  

But he loves meatloaf!

In the last seven years I have made lots of improvised "cakes" for him to blow the candles out for his birthday.  He calls me ridiculous every year.  However I am a firm believer in celebrating birthdays correctly!  

So far he's had watermelon cut into cake form, mashed potatoes molded into a cake form, a meatloaf cake, a shot lit on fire that he had to blow out and now this year he has had meatloaf birthday cupcakes.  

The Mister's 
Meatloaf Cupcakes



  • 1 1/2 lbs Hamburger
  • 1 lb Sausage (I used Jimmy Dean's sage sausage)
  • 1 M red onion chopped
  • 1 M leek chopped
  • 4 celery stalks chopped
  • 5-6 baby portobello mushrooms, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 C crushed tomatoes
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp Chipotle Chile powder
  • 1 T Chicago steak seasoning
  • Mashed potatoes (made however you like.  I like to put a ton of garlic in mine)

  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mince/chop all of your vege's.  I keep mine bigger.  It adds more texture.  (Meatloaf is not my favorite thing to eat.....)
  3. Mix everything together in a big bowl.
  4. Line your cupcake pan with liners.  I used the "texas cupcake muffin pan" so our meatcakes could be extra large.  (Meeeaaatcaaaaake!)
  5. Mold the meatloaf mixture into the pans and bake them for 45 minutes.
  6. After they are done cooking, put them on a cookie sheet to cool.  (I pre-made these with the intent to heat them up later.) . 
  Just a heads up, the liners you put on the meatcakes will not be pretty


Once they are cool enough to handle, put your mashed potato frosting on them.


Since I made these in the morning, I heated them up again by putting it in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.  

These would also be great for work lunches!

*The Mister is actually older then the candles on his cake imply.
*He's also really enjoying his serenade as you can tell in this picture.


Birthday Madness!!!!!

Happy Monday!

No comments :

Post a Comment