Monday, February 6, 2012

Salad Shakers and dairy free fudgecicles

So Clara had a pretty good birthday at home.  She got bacon and potato pierogis, paper dolls (Tangled, of course), Sticker book (of Tangled), a cake (with Tangled, do you see a trend here?), a trip to the park with all of her favorite people and BALLOONS!!!!!

The kid loves balloons.  So I bought 16 helium filled balloons for our little party.  

Do you know how hard it is to get 16 balloons into a small car????  

It took me about 15 minutes and when I finally got them all in the trunk a couple across the parking lot started clapping.  They watched me the whole time.  I'm sure I looked VERY special but I didn't pop a single one!


Funny thing about this cake, I procrastinated on getting one ordered in time for Clara's actual birthday.  The ladies at Jewell told me there was NO WAY they could have her cake ready before 3 pm.  

I asked if I could just get a print out of the tangled scene I wanted to use and put it on a plain old cake.  Did you know you could buy just the printed frosting sheets?  I got the cake done in plenty of time (seriously all you do is put it on top of the cake) AND her cake only cost $3.99 as opposed to $23.  I will be doing this from now on.


 PARK!


(Clara approves of my $3.99 cake.)


Now on to the food talk I promised last week.


Don't these salads look AMAZING?  

On my never ending quest to make my family eat more vegetables I stumbled across the idea of premaking a weeks worth of salads for easy lunch grabbing for the Mister.  I wish knew the website I got it off of but I do not.  It only took me about 3 1/2 minutes to do this and even on the fifth day the salad wasn't soggy at all.

  1. To make these you simply put your favorite salad dressing at the bottom of a glass jar.   
  2. Add your veges and other parts of stuff you want in your salad.  (In these I put edamame, bacon, a hard boiled egg, carrots and sunflower seeds.)
  3. Put whatever type of leaf you are using on top.
As long as the salad and salad dressing don't touch your salad will stay fresh and ready for you to eat all week.  When you are ready to eat them just shake the jar and enjoy!!


Dairy Free Fudgecicles

Because of the dairy allergy in my house I always have to come up with creative ways for the baby to eat "ice cream" too.  I have bought the rice cream, soy cream and coconut cream.  They usually do the trick but those things are expensive!  I came across a nutella and banana recipe that was supposed to taste just like a fudgecicle.  After scouring the grocery store I came across this product....


And it is completely dairy free!!!

The original recipe called for 1/3 cup of nutella and 6 bananas.  Put it all in a blender and blend it up until smooth and freeze in Popsicle molds.


These were REALLY good and the girls gobbled them up rather quickly, however, I think next time I might bring the number of bananas I put in it down to 4.  The banana taste was almost overpowering, and when you are making a mock fudgecicle, you only want it tot taste like chocolate, not bananas!!



No comments :

Post a Comment